SAVE THE DATE: The NVWLA 54th Annual Tasting will be held on Sunday, August 14 at Silverado Resort & Spa, Napa.
We look forward to having you join us at this extraordinarily informative, satisfying and pleasant wine appreciation event. Free admission to the tasting is a benefit of NVWLA membership.
Our 25th Annual Wine Seminar, “Winemaking in Two Worlds: France and Napa,” was Saturday, May 9 at CIA-Greystone, Saint Helena. Please scroll below for a description of the event and a listing of the panelists and their wines.
The NVWLA 53rd Annual Tasting, “A Toast to 2012,” was held Sunday, August 9 at Silverado Resort & Spa, Napa. Click here for a list of the wines that were poured.
25th Annual Wine Seminar, "Winemaking in Two Worlds: Napa Valley and France: Burgundy and Bordeaux"
Four celebrated Napa Valley vintners discussed their making of wines here and abroad. Wine glass in hand, we assessed King Cab and Le Vin des Rois, Pinot Noir and Vin Rouge de Bourgogne, as each panelist presented wines chosen for the Seminar. Each panelist and the moderator is actively involved with the making of wine in Napa Valley and France and was eager to share his and experiences with us.
We are most appreciative of the time our vintners set aside from their twin growing seasons to take part in the Seminar and their generous donations of wine to taste throughout this lively and informative day.
The moderator was Master Sommelier Gilles de Chambure.
The panelists were:
- Dawnine Dyer - Dyer Straits Wine Company, who poured wines from Domaine Chandon:
- MV Blanc de Noirs, California
- 2004 étoile Tête de Cuvée, California
- 2013 Pinot Meunier, Carneros
- Jean-Charles Boisset - Boisset Collection
- Jean-Claude Boisset 2011 Chambolle-Musigny Les Chardannes, Côte de Nuits, Bourgogne, France
- DeLoach Vineyards 2012 Estate Pinot Noir Olivet Bench, Russian River Valley
- JCB 2011 № 3, Russian River Valley and Côte de Nuits, Bourgogne, France
- Aaron Pott - Pott Wine
- Pott 2010, 2011 and 2012 La Carte et Le Territoire Young Inglewood Vineyard, Saint Helena
- Michael Silacci - Opus One
- Opus One 2005, 2007 and 2011, Napa Valley
A lunch in the Grove of Raymond Vineyards prepared by Raymond's chef, Michel Cornu, concluded the day.
The Seminar SOLD OUT.
8th Annual Books on Wine Event with Alder Yarrow, of the blog vinography.com, and his recently released book, The Essence of Wine
Alder Yarrow presented a lively, provocative and most practical program as he recounted his own history and that of the book’s, and read sample entries to a full house.
Alder describes the flavors and aromas–the taste–of four main groups of wines, each group depicted by Leigh Beisch and stylist Sara Slavin with lusciously appealing images. Alder has also included the names of several wines with each entry so the reader can know which wines taste like June or October, stone fruit or fiddleheads, and choose accordingly.
A reception preceded the presentation, co-sponsored by the George and Elsie Wood Public Library (aka Saint Helena Public Library) and Napa Valley Vintners.